Saturday, October 29, 2011

"Spend Shift"

I found this article, How U.S. Consumers Are Steering the 'Spend Shift', by John Gerzeman from AdAge on how consumers have shifted their spending habits in turn of the 2008 recession.  According to Gerzeman, 55% of the American population are part of this movement and are going back to the "Great Depression" values of "self-reliance, thrift, faith, creativity, hard work and community."  


This is very interesting because I feel like I am part of this movement.  The article mentions that people now view spending as a form of power and treat each purchase as a "vote".  Personally I feel that I am just scared of the future.  I'm uncertain of what will happen and feel that I must prepare for the worst.  This may make it seem like I am paranoid but I would rather be prepared than not if the worst were to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment